I assume most of Music Web's reviewers have a pretty large collection of discs. I wonder how people catalogue them. Right now I am using a relational database a private person in Germany has made on the basis of Microsoft Access. Although it generally works well I had lots of problems when I had to move from Office 2002 to Office 2007. Apparently the creator had done things which the new version of Office couldn't deal with. I tried to convert the database to OpenOffice (or Star Office, which is practically the same) but that didn't work.
I'd like to find a relational database programme which is independent from Microsoft products.
A search on the internet wasn't very promising. Most databases seem not to know such a phenomenon as a 'composer' as they mostly start with 'artist'. I have found a couple of databases which were apparently created specifically for classical music, but for various reasons I didn't find them very convenient.
I'd like to know what others' experiences are. What do you use and what could you advise me to try?
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't need a database, because I rip all my CDs and use iTunes to organize them. I put the CDs in boxes in the basement, now, and it makes life so much easier..
ReplyDeleteI have used "Classic Collector" without major problems for well over 10 years. It can be downloaded and tried out for nothing for 30 days if desired (go to: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/lion_elk/).
ReplyDeleteMy son is currently writing me some software from scratch to replace it. Assuming he finishes it (!), we'll certainly be willing to share it with you and any other reviewers who are interested.
Kirk,
ReplyDeleteI know nothing about that, and ripping all my discs would cost me way too much time. What I forgot to tell: I also want to include DVDs and recordings of live concerts into my database. I don't think iTunes can organize those.
I constructed an unsophisticated Access database of my own - my problem is keeping it up to date! It has one database of the recording info (label/cat #) linked to one of the individual compositions. In principle, it could be expanded to cope with homemade recordings.
ReplyDeleteYou do have me worried re the change to Office 2007 which I will be doing next week.
Johan, iTunes can't organize DVDs, but can do so for live recordings; any recording that can be ripped, at least.
ReplyDeleteIf you use a Mac, look up a program called Delicious Library. It can organize books, CDs and DVDs, and is visually attractive.
Kirk,
ReplyDeleteI don't use a Mac ...