Friday, January 23, 2009

Another comments problem

Paul Serotsky has reported a different posting problem to me, which I haven't been able to shed light on, and hoped someone here might be able to.

I reproduce Paul's messages to me.

Message 1
I signed in, went down the thread to the "Post a comment" pane, copied in my comment, and then the trouble started:
Tried clicking "Preview" - the browser activity flag whirred a bit, said> "Done", but otherwise nothing changed.
Tried clicking "Post comment" - selected "Google account", then got popup> instructing me to "enter the letters". Ah . . . WHAT letters? I see no letters, although there is a box that looks as though it OUGHT to have some letters in it.

Message 2
Well, I tried "preview" again, without logging in, and all it does is go busy for a few seconds, clears the Comment box and the Profile selection, returning the page to how it was before I put in the comment text. Basically, it chewed me up and spat me out!
I tried posting, without logging in, and the letters are indeed not visible. I checked the properties of the box object, and noticed that it said "Alternative text - blank". It doesn't sound very promising, does it? Does anyone else post to this via Firefox?

My only guess is that it is some security setting on Paul's browser, but why only our blog, I don't know.

Anyone able to help?

6 comments:

  1. I suppose you could call this a small measure of self-help. I tried coming in using IE and, as you can see, I succeeded! There were none of the problems that David had described. Moreover, if I signed in first, the "Comment as" box was primed with "Paul Serotsky (Google)".

    So, it IS a Firefox problem. Here endeth the self-help session, for I have no idea what bit of Firefox to poke or prod in order to whip it into line.

    Any suggestions gratefully received!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is possible to post in Firefox because I am doing that right now but I have no idea what setting might need to be changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Paul is just suffering from a slow connection. I used to find with dial up that things often would not appear that should.
    Len

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just run a b/b speed test, which reported a download speed of 240 kbps (at "quiet" times, I've known it go a fair bit higher). Surely that's fast enough?

    Also, having to use IE to post, I've noticed that it is considerably SLOWER at displaying the blog home page than is FF.

    Curiously, having managed to post the above comment using IE, I came back in (from scratch) an hour or so later. David's entry said there were "2 comments", but when I went in and looked, all it said was "0 comments"! Yet today, using either IE or FF, it says there are "3 comments", and indeed there they all are, "lying quietly in the warm sunshine"!

    I am baffled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Internet Explorer 7 and it comes up quicker in that than Musicweb itself (which is not too surprising considering the complexities of our home page). There I always see the Brilliant advert before anything else. Which version are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the problem has to do with the security settings. I post comments to Blogspot blogs from time to time and have never had the problems that I've seen here.

    ReplyDelete