Friday, February 13, 2009

Jazz

As I haven't contributed to MusicWeb Times before, I had better introduce myself (in case you haven't read my fascinating biography on the website - under "Reviewers"). A former lexicographer, I am now a freelance writer and part-time jazz drummer, as well as a member of the Delius Society. At various times I have reviewed classical music, pop and jazz. My favourite composers/musicians include Delius, Duke Ellington, Richard Strauss, Stevie Wonder, Christian Ferras, Erroll Garner, Aretha Franklin, Brahms, Lionel Hampton, Fats Waller, Peter Donohoe, Dick Hyman, Michael Tippett, Ella Fitzgerald, Percy Grainger, Dudley Moore, Ravel, Dimitri Tiomkin, the Takacs Quartet, Spike Jones, Monteverdi, Andy Narell, Elgar, Ahmad Jamal, Poulenc and Carly Simon - but there are many more. I like to be excited by Respighi's "Pines of Rome" and Korngold's film music, and soothed by some of Vaughan Williams and Percy Whitlock.
I am the Editor of the MusicWeb's Jazz Section, which seems to be (inevitably?) the poor relation of the classical section. Yet I would like the jazz reviews to have a higher profile and we could do with more reviewers (surely more classical reviewers could add some jazz to their menus?). And I expect Len Mullenger would welcome any volunteer who is willing to help with uploading the jazz reviews to the website. At any rate, this is a sort of plea for the value of jazz, which is even beginning to be recognised as "serious" music by BBC Radio 3.
Reviewing jazz is different from reviewing classical music. Classical reviews often occupy a lot of space by comparing different recordings of the same work: something that happens rarely in jazz, which seldom repeats itself (although it is fascinating, for instance, to compare the umpteen different versions by Duke Ellington of his composition "The Mooche", which seemingly changes with every performance). Jazz musicians often play the same tunes (we tend to call them "standards") but they are given such widely varying treatments as generally to defy comparison.
However, this is one of the intriguing features of jazz, which has retained an interest in improvisation - something which has virtually disappeared from many forms of music, although it was good enough for Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. Jazz has been called "the sound of surprise". This may make it hard to pin down, and it might explain why jazz is still often looked down upon as an inferior form of music. Yet jazz has (and had) its virtuoso composers - like Ellington, Gil Evans and Thelonious Monk - and also its virtuoso performers, like Art Tatum, Coleman Hawkins, Oscar Peterson, Jaco Pastorius, Antonio Forcione, Eldar Djangirov, Richard Galliano and Stefano Bollani. I have only just encountered a remarkable pianist called Eyran Katsenelenbogen (no, really!) with a formidable technique and remarkable improvising ability.
Music is too multifarious for everyone to explore every aspect of it. In jazz, as in every other form of music, there is good and bad music - and one man's fish is another man's poisson (see a recent posting on this site about Suk). But there is a great deal of good music under the heading of "jazz" which is worth exploring if you can spare the time.
There is a cherishable joke in the 1961 film "Raising the Wind" where one orchestral musician asks another what he played at the previous night's concert. The musician says: "Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano Concerto and Beethoven's 5th Symphony". His friend asks "Who was conducting?" and the musician replies "I didn't look". Some record companies insist on continually releasing versions of the same old works, which still have their value but are in danger of becoming hackneyed and over-familiar. For a change, how about trying "the sound of surprise"? You may be pleasantly surprised.

5 comments:

  1. I'd actually like to review some jazz, but I don't think I know enough about the genre. I love Bill Evans (and have most of his recordings) and Brad Mehldau (and have all of his), and have a bunch of other jazz recordings, but I think it wouldn't be fair to review much jazz without knowing the history of the genre. I'm afraid that all I could do was say whether I liked the music, but not so much why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you already like Bill Evans and Brad Mehldau, it suggests that you have listened to and appreciate modern jazz piano. So I suggest that you should request a jazz piano album from the next list of "albums to review" that Len sends out. As jazz editor, I would be happy to vet your review if that helps.
    Go on, have a go!
    Tony Augarde

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to, but when I see the lists, I have no idea who is playing what. In other words, I'd have to look up each album to find the ones that are piano... OK, maybe on the next list I'll check some of them out and see. I would very much like to find some new pianists to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm no expert, but as the 'bluffer's guide' points out, anyone who claims to be an 'expert' in jazz has to be a bluffer. The jazz world is too vastly wide and complex as a 'genre' to have universal gurus, but it was a classical musician who pointed out to me the similarities of a Big Band to the baroque concerto grosso formula or just baroque music in general, from solo and ripieno to improvisation. I love reviewing jazz as its pretensions and qualities are often more easy to spot than some 'classical' releases. If you like it, it must have quality. If you don't, you just have to ask yourself why. If it's possibly down to your own ignorance then you have to give some benefit of doubt, but if it's because the musicians are more interested in flashing their technique or bluffing in their own obscure way rather than communicating real ideas or swinging up a storm then anyone - expert or not - has a right to say so. Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Kirk, I love jazz and I even have a couple hundred CDs, but I'd never write a review because I'm simply not qualified. (Never say never: I did once, where I didn't allow my lack of qualification to get in the way...). And to become qualified through 'learning by doing' would take too much time to do, without remuneration. It's difficult enough to be familiar with the important music (repertoire, styles, artists) in any one musical style (or even one of any one style's subgroups). Imagine the added difficulty of learning how to write well about it.

    My jazz collection is in the US, but I still have a few CDs on my desk in front of me that might give a (skewed) idea of my Jazz-likes:

    Uri Caine plays Mozart (Winter & Winter)
    Rolf Kühn, "Inside Out" (Intuition)
    Dizzy Gillespie, "Bird Songs, The Final Recordings" (Telarc)
    Barenboim et al., "Mi Buenos Aires querido" (Teldec)
    [...not exactly Jazz but a stand in for the many Tango CDs--and one I particularly like]
    E.S.T., "Live in Hamburg" (ACT)
    Keith Jarrett, "At the Blue Note" (ECM)
    Dave Holland Quintet, "Prime Directive" (ECM)
    John Scofield, "A GoGo" (Verve)
    Bill Frissell, "Gone, Just Like a Train" (Nonesuch)
    St.Germain, "Tourist" (Blue Note)

    ReplyDelete