Friday, February 13, 2009

Jazz (the bit I forgot)

Len has pointed out that I didn't sign my recent contribution about jazz. My name is Tony Augarde - but you've probably got troubles of your own!

Tony Augarde

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony

    As a complete jazz novice I wouldn't know where to begin. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan Morgan, thanks for your query about starting in jazz.
    You could keep an eye on the reviews in the jazz section of MusicWeb and try out some of the albums recommended there. For example, the Avid label releases some very cheap compilation albums, often getting four original LPs onto two CDs. Several of their albums have been praised recently on the jazz site.
    Alternatively you could start with some of the artists I mentioned in the list of personal favourites in my "Jazz" blog. People like Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald and Erroll Garner would be "safe" to start investigating, as most of what they recorded is worth hearing.
    Good luck with your exploration.
    Tony Augarde

    ReplyDelete