I was intrigued to read John Wearn's review of Midsummer Night's Dream on Blu-ray. I have yet to sample the new format, although I have been toying with the idea of upgrading my DVD player and TV to see what all the fuss is about.
A growing number of films are being released on Blu-ray but what about classical concerts, dance and opera? DG seem to have a few titles, mainly showcasing their 'star' soprano Anna Netrebko, and clearly Opus Arte are releasing some titles too. But what of the rest?
I suppose launching a new video format in the teeth of global recession isn't ideal but if Blu-ray is to gain traction with classical music lovers - who, incidentally, are keeping SACD alive - then it would be helpful to know what releases are in the pipeline.
I think I'll wait for hardware prices to fall and for the recording companies to show some commitment to the format before I part with my hard-earned shekels.
What do others think?
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My reservation about Blu-ray at the moment is not a musical one, but a more general one about the region locking that has carried over (with some changes) from DVD.
ReplyDeleteI buy many DVDs from the UK and some from the US because they aren't available here in Australia at all or not for several months. I have reprogrammed my DVD player and recorder so they play all region discs.
Searching the Net indicates that no one has found a way round this on Blu-ray players as yet for playing the new or the old discs, so I will have to wait.
Ah yes, the pesky regional coding. I know a fair number of classical DVDs are region 0 (ie region-free) but certainly not all. If they can't 'crack' Blu-ray codes that could be a serious disincentive.
ReplyDeleteOn the subject of DVDs I wish they'd all offer a PCM stereo option as well as the multi-channels ones. Not everyone has an MC setup and, in any case, PCM sounds best (to my ears at least).
"I buy many DVDs from the UK and some from the US because they aren't available here in Australia at all or not for several months. I have reprogrammed my DVD player and recorder so they play all region discs."
ReplyDeleteIn an increasingly globalized world (well, increasingly globalized for a small, but purchase-power-priviliged, percentage at least), the Region-coding of DVDs and now bluRays is quickly becoming an anachronism... completely out of touch with reality. I have households (pathetic, tiny ones, but still...) on two continents, as does a good deal of people I know. Whether it's because of spousal/family relations or work (IMF, international corporations, switching jobs and moving etc.), no continent is an island unto itself anymore (so to say - sorry Australia). Fortunately, most classical DVDs have been region code "0" [with a few 1000 sold world wide, little wonder], but when they are not (or if it pertains to films, which I watch on occasion), it's just plain annoying.
I suppose one way around this would be the purchase of an additional, backup player (be it DVD or bluRay), capable of playing whichever the "other" often played region is.