Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Adventures in Interviewing

My first ever Blog entry, anywhere, ever -I bet you're already fascinated.

Never mind, I'm sure we'll all get used to it. Working as I do in the music business and music education in particular, I'm constantly looking for connections when it comes to the CD listings Len sends out. Fresh recordings by familiar names can however be a mixed blessing, and I've studiously avoided reviewing discs by musicians who are still students or teachers of my particular institute (the pianist Anja German is one at the moment, guitarist Johannes Moller was until recently another - he rescued me more than once, stepping in to perform at concerts at very short notice!). I mean, what happened if it turned out to be a performance or work I disliked - or if I particularly praised it, could I be accused of favouritism or bias?

I was therefore particularly delighted to receive, and highly enjoy, a new recording of some piano works by Clarence Barlow. He is a former composition and sonology teacher at the Royal Conservatoire in The Hague, so I'm safe in that regard. The SACD disc, from the 'Feedback Studio Cologne' label, includes this composer's remarkable 'Ludus Ragalis',and the review will be sent in soon. The only reason it has been delayed is that I asked Clarence for an interview, to which he responded with interest, phoning me from Weimar for a chat about the state of music education and administration in general. I sent the review and a small collection of relevant and esoteric questions to him earlier this week, and then turned on the news to find out that the area of California where he lives has gone up in flames, so it's a question of 'watch this space'.

Meanwhile, it's a version of hell here, with the run up to Christmas festivities in full preparatory swing. There's always ONE date which becomes a diary page black with ink, full of the details of heaven knows how many simultaneous Xmas drinks parties at the cities banks and government offices. So far, it's the 17th of December....

3 comments:

  1. "I mean, what happened if it turned out to be a performance or work I disliked - or if I particularly praised it, could I be accused of favoritism or bias?"

    You would, invariably, be accused of that... and it is therefore better avoided. Unless, that is, you write about writing about someone you know - and in doing so review a disc 'on the side'. :-)

    Here's an (unpublished, failed) attempt I once made:

    "Chudnovsky vs. Chocolate"

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mention of Johannes Möller reminds me of the opposite situation. I reviewed his first solo disc - very favourably - and not long afterwards I was sent some promotion material from Johannes to our chamber music society. Knowing his playing I immediately engaged him for a recital, which was a success. Of course we got to know each other in connection with the recital - and also his father - and question is: should I avoid reviewing his discs in the future? During more than 25 years as chairman and concert organizer for sundry local music societies I have met a great number of singers and other musicians. With some of them there have developed personal relations. It could be a moral dilemma to review them, on disc or live concerts for local papers, which occasionally happens. What, as Dominy says, if I don't like what I hear? Will that affect or relation? It wouldn't, I dare say,if I told them privately but making it public would almost certainly mean a strained relation - at least for some time.

    Another experience, more than 20 years ago, was when a journalist from a local paper called me after a Christmas concert with my choir and wanted me to tell him about the concert since he hadn't been able to attend. I suggested that I write the article instead, which he accepted. Knowing this man was no music expert I described it in general terms and since there had been some internal drama the hours before the concert - the contacted soloist cancelled on very short notice and I had to arrange with someone else, plus organizing travels and other practical things - I was granted a full page in the paper. Unsigned of course. I felt a little guilty of course but no one seems to have suspected anything.

    Oh, how interesting! Is it really? What happened in a small town in Sweden ages ago? Anyway, bloggers seem to write about anything and since this is my first blog too I could just as well start in the distant past.

    Göran Forsling

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that first album bu Johannes Moller - he gave me a copy as a demo disc and it soon found its way out of the office drawer and onto my own shelves. Very naughty. Oh well, he's left the Conservatoire now, but is still a useful contact - I've just booked him to play Christmas carols at an office party with another guitarist.

    As for reviewing stuff by people you know I think the first-aid motto is a good rule of thumb: 'Safety First' (in other words, erm, no).

    ReplyDelete