Wednesday, November 19, 2008

24 (or more hours) in the life of a MusicWeb Administrator - Len Mullenger

Sunday November 16th
Yesterday went Christmas shopping with wife and daughter. I found this exhausting as my ankles were playing up. My legs feel as if they do not properly belong to me so went to bed on return home about 4pm. Slept for two hours then went out for meal with friends. Caught up with "Strictly come Dancing" and "Children in Need QI" Total raised seems to be stuck at £21Million at the moment. Expected to achieve £30 million eventually. It is good to get away from MusicWeb for a while. Retired at 1 am anticipating a good night's sleep.
Out like a zombie until 4am when wide awake. I always get up so as not to disturb my wife. Answered a few e-mails and ordered some review discs from Brilliant Classics. Mulled over idea of MusicWeb Times as an in-house community newsletter. Now rushing to get jobs completed before I go on holiday on Friday. I need this holiday as my right arm is suffering from working on the computer. I have RSI in my wrist and tennis elbow type problems in the elbow and the arm is sore underneath where it rests on the typing table. A week in the Canaries should sort that out.
Continued to type up discs for reviewers to review. Am dealing with the miscellaneous section. These are always slow to shift. Reviewers prefer composer discs so I have to ensure a detailed link of contents is available as the title of miscellaneous discs rarely provides much information.
Tried a return to bed at about 6am but could not sleep so carried on typing up discs. I will get the list out before I go on holiday but will not be able to post any out until I return. This will not be a problem as reviewers have not long received a very large batch of about 300 discs. (where do reviewers put them all?)
08.30 Time to get the papers and have breakfast.


Monday
A number of reviewers have been forced to drop out of the MusicWeb Lunch in January due to other commitments newly arisen or just forgotten about. This has made it non-viable. There have also been expressions of concern about possible travelling difficulties in January. I have decided to rearrange the date for some time in March/April.

Tuesday
In the company of Chris Thomas and David Dyer I have heard two stunning discs from the latest batch. With over 300 to choose from a mere sampling is all that is usually possible. These were Lindberg's concerto for orchestra (Oramo) and the Alwyn Quartets (Maggini). I have long had the Chandos recording of these quartets (Quartet of London) but they had failed to make much impression on me. The Maggini give such powerful performances the works have been revitalised. I eagerly await reviews of these.

Wednesday
Probably my last working day before my holiday and yes I am busy typing at 4am again. However I have recovered from all the aches and pains reported above. Enough reviews have been sent out to cover my absence (thank you to all reviewers for responding to my urgent appeal for reviews)

No comments:

Post a Comment