Sunday, April 26, 2009

Have CDs really lost their shine?

Interesting piece in The Guardian about CDs. It seems the recession - whatever that is - and the advent of downloads has created a veritable mountain of secondhand CDs. I don't usually buy discs from charity shops but perhaps I should get down to the High Street and see what's available.

Do any of you buy secondhand CDs and, if so, where are the best places to look?

Guardian

PS: Rereading this post I realised it makes me sound rather greedy, snaffling up CDs at every opportunity. Generally I'm more than happy with Len's monthly mailings but every now and then I do go on a bit of a spending spree. Rooting out those obscure and hard-to-find titles is all part of the game, although I'm certainly not one of those serial collectors with floor to ceiling shelves in every room.

5 comments:

  1. I buy secondhand CDs from time to time. In my hometown there are two shops with secondhand and antiquarian books which also have a collection of CDs. Now and then they have discs which I always wanted to have, and I take the opportunity to buy them to a modest price. I normally don't buy new discs there, because there is always a chance I'll get them from MusicWeb or from the German magazine I'm writing for.
    One of the shops even has old vinyls, and sometimes I'm buying one which has never been released on CD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On-line browse
    http://www.classicalcdexchange.co.uk/
    http://www.cds-unlimited.co.uk/

    Worth a visit
    Harold Moores London
    Yarborough House Bishops Castle

    Len

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this has always been a built-in problem with CDs. Addicts like us can always slake our thirst for new music with used goods, which doesn't benefit the labels who can only sell a 'unit' once. In The Hague we have an excellent shop called Spui Records, which gets hold of remaindered stock from various quarters. It is however always a bit depressing to see discs one has reviewed not so very long before, appearing on their shelves at often less than half price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charity shops do often have some surprising things in them, although you do have to do some digging to find them. Can I recommend 2 known to me (and admit to helping at) which are run by NCT (Nottingham Choral Trust) and have an especially large (classical) music section. They are in Southwell and Beeston (Nottingham). Do any other musical charities have their own shops?

    John Sheppard

    ReplyDelete
  5. John

    I bought a secondhand CD from an Amazo Marketplace seller recently and was surprised to see it was from Oxfam. Not sure if other charities are doing the same but it makes good sense to shift stock this way.

    ReplyDelete