Tuesday, May 26, 2009

List of All Beethoven Piano Sonata Cycles

This might be of interest to some:

A list--more or less chronologically--of all LvB Sonata Cycles that I've cobbled together over the some time now... including notes on availability. (For reasons of simplification, I limit "available" to Amazon and four countries--the UK, US, France, and Germany.)

Perhaps we could combine the instances of a set with MusicWeb reviews where we have them?
And maybe some of the MWeb reviewers have dates (or cover art) where I am lacking it or where I am misinformed?

Here are the first three installments: Moved to MusicWebInternational's Website.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table's too wide - you probably have a fixed width parameter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to change the right part of the table from a fixed width to 100% (of the "rest"), but that didn't seem to do the trick. I think I'll just take it down, instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I'd very much like to see this. If you send me the code and graphics, I can host the pages on my web site (or ask Len to do it perhaps).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can help out with Schiff on ECM if needed - I have the lot now after reviewing a few on MWI. V. good in my opinion, although he goes for rigorous 'pedal down' throughout the opening movement of the good'ol 'Moonlight' which just isn't right on a modern grand....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dominy: "Pedal down" is the instruction the Beethoven writes into the 27/2 and hence Schiff obeys. Braeutigam, quite rightly, points out that "pedal down" on a modern grand is something quite different from "pedal down" on a Steinway, alas Schiff is authentic to the text, even if it means being less than authentic to the spirit.

    In his defense, he does pull the left hand off very nicely, but only at high speeds and because he takes the right hand back so much that you can barely hear it.

    I reviewed the first disc in great detail (Review) but not heard most of what followed. My impression was so-so. I love his talks, though. Quite a bit more than the performances. :-)

    Kirk: I can send you the Code & Graphics. Which format do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. meanwhile these LvB Sonata posts can be seen here: Survey of Complete LvB Piano Sonatas, Part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew about the Beethoven instruction, but have indeed always understood it to be something which might have been tolerable on a fortepiano or early grand (Broadwood?), NOT on the monster sustain of a modern grand - Bosendorfer and Steinway alike. Aged 6 I used to write ALL my piano music with BOTH pedals down. We had an old Moon upright with a felt damper mechanism for the 'soft' pedal and I used to love those woolly bell-like effects. No-one is likely to attempt any urtext performances of my childish scribblings, but guaranteed they would sound bizarre to say the least! I actually like Schiff's set but don't see it as definitive in any way. Maybe I just like his woolly bell-like effects..... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now we know who to ask, when we want to record the complete early works of Clements. :-)

    In 20 years:

    "No one gets the woolly bell-effects in early Clements down quite like Schiff. His traversal--available on ECM Holographic disc CH0498--is much to be preferred over the downright shoddy and willfull Fazil Say Clements cycle on Sony's 3D-mp3X files."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teehee. Wonder whatever happened to that woolly old piano. I could go and hide in Mexico with the thing and start a new wave of woolly bell-effect minimalism. I'll be ready to be discovered by Manfred Eicher in about 20 years...

    ReplyDelete